Avoiding Candle Fire Damage in Your Home
People in Puyallup, WA, use candles in their homes for many reasons, such as religious rites, aromatherapy, ambience, and light during power outages. As with any open flame indoors, candle burning is a fire hazard and should be done with proper care and vigilance. You can avoid candle fire and the resulting smoke cleanup by following these safety tips:
1. Candle Placement
Always place lit candles at least one foot from any flammable items like curtains, upholstery and carpets. Make sure candles are sitting on smooth, solid surfaces and kept away from hair and loose clothing. Burning candles should never be left unattended, especially in bedrooms and smaller spaces like bathrooms or home offices. Always extinguish candles completely before leaving the room, and never use candles in homes where medical oxygen is present.
2. Candle Containment
When using candles in the home, always place them in sturdy holders to prevent them from tipping over. Hurricane glass covers or heavy glass containers are safer than single candlestick holders, and floating candles are even safer. If a candle must burn continuously for religious purposes, place it in a filled sink or a deep basin of water when it’s unattended. It’s also a good idea to not let candles burn down completely. Put them out before the flame gets too close to the candle holder.
3. Candle Alternatives
Of course, the safest option is to not burn candles at all. Battery-operated candles are a great option for ambience, while flameless candles give the look and smell of real candles without the danger of candle fire. For aromatherapy, try essential oil diffusers in place of candles, and prepare for power outages by having flashlights and other battery-powered lighting options on hand.
Candle fire in Puyallup, WA, can result in the need for smoke cleanup, which should only be done by experienced cleanup professionals. Avoid the problem by keeping these tips in mind.