If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (253) 848-0800

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Do You Use Bleach To Cleanup Mold? Here's Why You Shouldn't

7/23/2019 (Permalink)

Bleach is toxic

When It Comes to Fungus Cleanup Here Are Some Old Tricks

When it comes to fungus cleanup, there are a number of old tricks both homeowners and business owners use. A few of the more popular ones include the following:

  • Pour baking soda on the mold and scrub it away.
  • Use an antimicrobial treatment to kill the growth.
  • Paint over the mold with mildew-resistant primer.
  • Pour vinegar over the mold.
  • Kill the mold with borax.

The most popular trick of all, however, involves the popular household and laundry product, bleach.

The Popular Laundry Product Is Not the Answer

If you discover mold growth in your commercial building, the first product you're likely to reach for is the popular bleaching chemical. However, while many generations swear by this old fungus cleanup trick, the truth is that the chemical serves more as a band-aid than an effective remedy. In fact, in some cases, pouring the chemical over a mold-infested surface may exacerbate the problem.

3 Reasons You Shouldn't Use Bleach

There are three main reasons any experienced mold remediation specialist in South Hill, WA, will tell you not to use the popular laundry chemical to cleanup mold. The first is simple: It loses effectiveness over time. The chemical is essentially chlorinated water. Like with chlorinated water, if you leave the laundry product exposed to the air for a few days, the chlorine will evaporate, thereby rendering its cleaning properties ineffective.
The second reason you shouldn't use the product is because it can actually contribute to mold growth on porous surfaces. If you pour the chemical onto a porous surface, the chlorine will sit on the top while the water component will drip down, essentially feeding the growth.
Finally, bleach is toxic. You can avoid introducing a harmful chemical to your home, loved ones and pets by ditching the chemical and allowing a mold remediation specialist to come into your home and perform professional fungus cleanup.

Other News

View Recent Posts